Friday, May 21, 2010

'Hypnagogic Pop', Year Two

----



'Hypnagogic pop is music that reaches beyond its performers’ abilities. It refashions 80s chart pop-rock into a hazy, psychedelic drone. It is listening to Beverly Hills Cop and hearing the music of the spheres. It is the sound that remains after the boys of summer have gone.' -- David Keenan, The Wire



The Skaters


'The largely American movement that journalist David Keenan has tagged “hypnagogic pop” tries to convey the half-remembered, dream-like associations of early childhood in the ’80s – the term “hypnagogic” refers to the state between sleep and waking, as described in the article’s reference to “the moment just before you go to sleep as a child, while somewhere in the distance the sounds of pop and disco come muffled through the wall and infiltrate your subconscious”.' -- Hong Kong in the 60s



dolphins into the future


'Maybe it’s because I spent four years of my life reading Marxist aesthetic theory in a windowless tower, but I’ve been thinking a lot about the politics of Hypnagogic Pop ever since. I commend Keenan a hundred times over for putting into words something that was on the tip of many a critical tongue over the past year but that no one had the guts articulate as something so sweeping as a cultural movement: the rise of a lo-fi post-noise psychedelia that moves past noise’s rejection of consonance and sort of unconscious adherence to the 20th century high modernist ideal of autonomous art (art that engages in discourse with contemporary culture precisely by refusing such a discourse, though noise typically refuses a discourse with academic constructs of this kind as well). Keenan makes an interesting case for hypnagogic pop as a move towards reconnecting with the eternal archetypes embedded in the changing landscape of pop culture, of embracing the fact that our consciousness is structured almost entirely by these archetypes and using them as a spring-board for self-discovery and renewal. But I would have liked him to go a bit further fleshing out how that sound might add up to new political stance or mode of aesthetic engagement. ...



James Ferraro


'So is hypnagogic pop political, in the sense of engaging in some way in the fight against capitalism and capitalist culture? Or does it signify a kind of dying gasp on the part of experimental music, a becoming-consensual of a noise now ready to throw down its hands and to concede that–at the end of the day–people just want to listen to Fleetwood Mac? My personal belief is that, sure, this new music may be somewhat “nostalgic” or “reactionary” in its return to outmoded recording technologies and the pop cultural idioms we grew up with as kids (Keenan zeros in specifically on the ’80s, though I think that any time period and/or geographical origin should be considered fair-game). But in this movement backwards I think there is the implicit recognition that these tropes actually form the fabric of our musical consciousness, and that they present building blocks for us to use as we move forward and try to create art that is true to our experience as members of the Y generation: coming of age with a remote control in one hand and an Ipod in the other, listening to our parents tell us that every good song in the universe has already been written.' -- Emilie Friedlander, Visitation Rites



Spencer Clark


'Given I’ve been thinking about hauntology a lot recently, I was pretty pleased that it was chosen as the subject for the first of The Wire’s new salon events. ... The discussion stretched back from the recent – Herrington bringing up Ghost Box early on, Stannard raising the hypnagogic question – to the first appearance of the term hauntology, with Ian Penman’s article on dub and Tricky being mentioned, as well as Simon Reynolds’s writing – and then beyond. ... The issue of hypnagogic pop led me to want to draw a Venn diagram – was this a subset of hauntology, or was there simply overlap? I’d been having this sort of discussion on Twitter earlier in this week, and we continued it after the panel had finished. While it is easy to see something like Ducktails or Rangers as hauntological, the same couldn’t really be said of Emeralds, who aren’t explicitly referencing any sort of “utopia”, they are just happen to be using some old instruments which make them sound a bit like some older bands – without ever being pastiche.' -- mapsadaisical



Monopoly Child Star Searchers


'Apparently the searching, high-minded folks at British magazine The Wire have started calling music like this "hypnagogic pop," a reference to the state between wakefulness and sleep. I don't buy it. Copeland-- and James Ferraro, and Nite Jewel, and all these coastal folks vomiting up crusty, 80s-inspired psychedelia-- are fully awake, just on some other side of reality. It's not hypnagogic-- it's stoned, daffy, and righteous. It's chewing up something familiar and making it weird again.' -- Mike Powell, Pitchfork



Ducktails


'In a recent post on The Guardian’s music blog, titled “Blog rock lacks a political edge,” Ben Beaumont-Thomas claimed that current, popular North American independent music is “set utterly outside the city, outside work, outside the America of healthcare debates and ongoing wars.” He cited lo-fi artists like Woods, Best Coast, Wavves, Surfer Blood, and Julian Lynch, alongside a few artists (Ducktails, James Ferraro) associated with the hypnagogic pop descriptor coined by David Keenan in the August 2009 edition of The Wire, as exemplifying apolitical and escapist values. By emphasizing pastoral escapism conjoined with nostalgia, these artists dangerously put aside the material world of political reality and choose to embrace a form of dreamlike, childhood fantasy that results in apathy and inaction.' -- Elliott Sharp, Tiny Mix Tapes



Pocahaunted


'I hate to admit it when some wanker makes up a downright terrible term to reign in a disparate group of musicians, but the whole hypnagogic pop thing sort of says it. In the August issue of Wire magazine, David Keenan asserts that bands like Skaters and Zola Jesus and Pocahaunted draw their powers from slivers of what they remember from 1980s pop sounds. ... Of course, the concept of a pop music that draws from an unconscious past ("the ones between waking and sleeping... where mis-hearings and hallucinations feed into the formation of dreams") means that "hypnogogic" music is specific to its maker.' -- Henry Gruel, Impose



Emeralds


'It remains to be seen whether “hypnagogic pop” as it has been described by The Wire, will turn out to be the most significant genre classification since dubstep, or if it will be consumed into the greater whole like nu-balearic, but there is no doubt in my mind that this burgeoning movement has created some of the most exciting and melancholic music that I have heard in the last year. For those who don’t know, hypnagogic pop is lo-fi in its production values, supposedly occupying a dreamspace somewhere between the stations on the AM radio dial. Songs borrow the synthetic elements of 80s pop, but, perhaps as a reaction against the current wave of hyper-produced neon alt-pop and electro, they add woozy, fuzzed out layers of shoegaze sound, creating an effect that is akin to hearing songs as half remembered from childhood.' -- urblaushits.co.uk



Mark McGuire


'On some level, this stuff could be seen as a rebuke to the Day-Glo-dazzled, upper-drug-addled hipster hop and club-ready party music of the past year(s); whereas that stuff is extroverted and brash, chillwave is introverted and soft-spoken (grunge was to hair metal as chillwave is to Mad Rad?). Or it could be taken as an escape from the recent crop of rootsy, retrograde Americana—just as nostalgic as that genre but unbound from the strictures of tradition, a "post-" music that's made as much on effects pedals as it is played on "real" instruments. Taking the longer view, though, this sound draws on decades of music—notably such '80s punch lines as yacht rock and "healing" or world musics, but also shoegaze and ambient as far back as Brian Eno's coining of that enduring genre.' -- Eric Grandy, The Stranger



Gary War


'Basically hypnagogic pop is some American ltd-edition cassette/CD-R noiseniks who've realized that noise is a bit of a dead end (better late than never eh?) and have been making this oneiric no-fi wooze, through which flicker memory-mangled traces of Eighties music: overbrite and clinically-tight mainstream pop and rock (Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer" gets a special mention); sequencer-chattering and digi-synthy themes from movies and TV; New Age, and so forth. All of which apparently seeped into the consciousness of these young twentysomething musicians when they were toddlers.' -- Simon Reynolds, Bliss Blog



Oneohtrix Point Never


'I like the letter to this month’s Wire magazine by Vivien Priestley of Walsington, UK who wrote in response to David Keenan’s provocative (and, I have to say, confusing) article on what he calls Hypnagogic pop. This is the name he gives to the strand of (mostly) American music which blends together elements of the nation’s old weird past and more recent pop culture. (It has already been nominated by some as the ‘worst genre created by a journalist’). The letter points out that musicians like The Skaters, Pocahaunted & Ariel Pink are “wrestling with various versions of the past and trying to get beyond a merely nostalgic revivalism”. The writer asks “……has there ever been a moment in music before now where sound has been so completely soaked in traces of the past without actually sounding like anything other than the present, or the future?”' -- Animal My Soul



Ariel Pink


'In the infamous Wire article on hypnagogic pop, James Ferraro had at least two incredible quotes. The first was about his membership in the “first church of Lenny Kravitz”: “My membership there has helped me with this process: trying to download someone else’s headspace–sometimes the most extreme being that of a virtual celeb image–opened up different aspects of consciousness and life potential and interactions beyond my wildest dreams.” The second concerned his interest in so called “trash” culture: “I think aspects of human culture that some people regard as unimportant actually operate within a really deep system of ancient symbolism and human archetypes. Hard Rock Cafes, strip clubs, gyms, celebrities, etc, are all great examples of this, of roadside temples. My albums are like downloads from that body of information…”' -- Daniel Krow, The Decibel Tolls



U.S.F.


Read 'Childhood's End' by David Keenan
----


*

p.s. Hey. In theory, today is our day off re: the theater work, or that was the plan, although there's a little too much left to do to stay completely away, so it's more of a rest stop for the performers, most of whom have been here working every day since the first week of May. But since I'm just the text guy, and since finessing technical stuff is more the issue at the moment, I'll probably see more daylight than usual. ** Scunnard, I do recall you talking about the power that Mt. St. Helens had on your childhood and imagination, yeah, and it's interesting to be reminded and hear more. I thought the video walked the line very gracefully. ** Misanthrope, Use the old evil parent trick: tell her you're driving her to ... Disneyworld or something, and then swerve into the doctor's parking lot, although you still might need to have a fake gun or something. No, you didn't corner yourself into doing a book cover day. I just thought I might catch your imagination and goodwill off guard. Yeah, Robert Pollard is always making insanely great music. No need to be cryptic, heh. ** Kier, That 'HITLH' character reminds me of me too. Hence, I guess, the remake idea. The Lithium feedback here was most rangy and contradictory. What was your doctor's final decision? ** David Ehrenstein, I've been reading about that Firouz story, and, yeah, the UK had better just fucking pony up. I can imagine Cameron granting her asylum for the pro-gay PR and then basically deciding he has done his duty to us. Ron Paul just lost himself the election, which is quite fucking nice. ** JoeM, Pretty good Hari piece, yeah. Didn't know of him before at all. ** Jesse Bransford, Yeah, I can only imagine how amazing that show and the event was. Hudson's still such a mad genius. I'll go greedily check out the FB shots. Did you snag anything? Maybe your FB gallery will tell that tale. I'm assuming the artists had average joe-style grabbing rights too. Wish my NYC timing was better so I could catch your lecture. Might be, in fact, since the 'Them' revamp show might be in October, and I'll need to be there to help prep if so. Do youtube it or something, though. Really great of you to be here, J. It's really nice. ** Steevee, How cool that the Resnais is getting a proper US release. That's quite a pleasant surprise. I can't recall what The National's singer looks like. I can't get into that earnest, sweeping, big rock thing that they increasingly do. ** Alan, You've got your TM, man, should the case arise. Thanks for answering the caste question. Well, if it's circulated, I imagine I can get it somehow. That's my great interest, of course. ** Sypha, You don't sound overly critical of Bret's stuff. You just sound like you're attentive and taking his work seriously. It's the kind of kneejerk anti-Bret people that annoy me the most. How cool about the Facebook roll-out of your first novel! I'm a bit impaired while I'm here, but I'm going to catch up with that as soon as I can. ** Rigby, Thanks, big R. Smiles galore, thanks to you. The holograms squeaked through yesterday and finally found their rightful place, whew. ** Toniok, Thanks a lot, man. Things are kind of rough going over here, but I think this particular piece needs that to get where it needs to go. ** Jose, Hey! How's it going? Yeah, I know a bit about 'Portal', and I'm kind of dying to get my controller on it, and it's just about the main reason that I'm looking for the means to spring for an XBox360. ** Wolf, Oh, shit, I never sent you your prize? Fuck, you're right, I didn't. A hundred lashes. Soon as I get back to Paris, I swear. ** Bollo, Ha ha, you didn't make me late, I did. You've been getting a steady stream of great book input lately. Curious to hear about the Parrino book, if you remember. I'm on the fence about his stuff. ** Justin, Okay, yeah, a cutting room floor rescue post. That's a good one. I've got a notebook full of scribbled, seemingly doomed Day concepts. I'll do that. You've got it. Just need to get my head offstage and my body back home first. ** Alex Rose, Sir, my total honor, it won't surprise you to hear. Just consider me one of your many agents or volunteers or something. Good news about the extra free day. Use one of those 3-day weekends to slip in and out of Paris. ** JW Veldhoen, Rose and Woodman? Interesting. I need to think about it. Interesting. Me, wise? Tell that to my theater piece collaborators, ha ha. Can we compromise on uncle? I could go with that. ** Frank Jaffe, New boyfriend, eh? Well, that's very good news, obviously. Coming down to see you ... a New Yorker? Excuse my curiosity. Anyway, that's really, really nice to know, Frank. The only Florida I've been in is a little section of the panhandle. Florida proper remains a dream vacation, or at least the multi-theme park part. I really need to check out that new Harry Potter park. ** Chilly Jay Chill, Theater piece? Well, need I say, I want to hear a lot more about that when your time is right. Would love to compare notes and all that. Yeah, I've had to normalize novels in one way or another to some degree at some point in the process, sure. I just try to normalize the surface but leave the peculiar skeleton unbroken if possible. Think about the normalization as a means only of giving readers more access, period. I guess that's the only basic rule I try to follow. It doesn't always work, of course. ** Inthemostpeculiarway, Hey. Hm, that makes sense about pets, about wanting something to be dependent on you, and I guess unquestionably loyal too, right? Like something (someone) who won't jump ship for a 'better' owner, won't fuck around on you or whatever. Interesting to think about, if so. Not that I wish complicated feelings on you, but I think yours are complicated in the best possible light. Never done Oxy. Is the high special in some way? Your car-centric life sounds so LA to me. I can relate to that. I like that image of her in her prom dress traversing the everyday. Yeah, I know about that Japanese vending machine dress. There's a funny youtube video of a Japanese news report on it, but I didn't save the link. Stuff like that is what makes me a borderline Japanophile, or maybe not borderline. Yeah, Romeo remaking 'Deep Red' sounds grim. I'll hit that Josie Cotton link when the internet signal I'm stuck with ups its ante. It's always weak here in the mornings for some reason. My day: Another long, non-stop work one. The good stuff: The holographic projection element of the piece finally settled in yesterday, found the right level and locales, and I think we're through the uncertain phase on that front. That was a big relief. The scene that caused the difference of opinion yesterday was revamped to accommodate both of our ideas, and it might just work with some more fiddling. We'll see, but it looks hopeful as of last night. We spent most of the day running and rerunning the central part of the piece where the paranormal fog/ holographic event overtakes everything and then transitions back into the more naturalistic stuff. I think it's getting there. Up to this point, the stage has been covered up this see-through scrim that was intended to create the visual look of a diorama, but it's been causing us problems with the projections and fog and lighting, and Gisele has pretty much decided that we're going to remove it because the stage seems to look enough like a diorama without it. We only need to use it during the last scene when there are live birds onstage, so the current plan is to lower it only for the ending of the piece which ideally will make that scene look different, more fake and romantic, which could be good. The last couple of days, I've been very concerned that my texts aren't working well. Gisele is moving the piece further and further away from the narrative/story, and it began to occur to me that my texts, which address the narrative and speak of the characters' emotions mostly, were beginning to create a disconnect, possibly a problem, a confusion. I started to worry a bit that the piece as it is developing might be being held back or distorted by the need to hang on to the narrative i.e. my texts, and the idea to me that my part of the work could end up being its downfall has been bothering me. So, I brought this up in a meeting, essentially asking if the piece needed the texts anymore and whether removing the texts might free Gisele to take the piece where she feels it needs to be. She explained how and why she thinks the texts need to be there, and how they're giving the piece something crucial, and I was very glad she feels that way, of course, and I told her that she should think about it and make sure that the texts are there because they're important and not just because they were intended to be there originally. I think maybe she's right that they do give the piece something that it needs, and I feel a little better, but we'll see what happens. So, that plus lots of small stuff filled the day and evening, and afterwards I just watched some TV and crashed. Sorry for such a long report today. I got a little carried away, I think. Friday + you = ? ** Killer Luka, An ode fit for Zeus, that one. Awesome. ** Chris (British), I think I've seen just a little bit of that Eastern European animation you mention. It was gorgeous. Yury has talked about it to me. Of course it was a fairly regular childhood input for him. I'll have to see if I can find enough and enough about it to put together a related Day. ** Armando, You made total sense, man. Of course I love the sound of your writing. Or the sound of the sound of you writing, I guess, ha ha. Flow is hard. I know that hardness well. Give it time, I say. Keep thinking about it and let your ideas about how to make it flow evolve. I'm a really slow writer myself. Things take time to work, especially when they mean a lot to you. ** Hedi, Hey. Gosh, if it's easy, a copy of that book would be amazing! Thank you a lot. I'd forgotten the title: 'Extreme Canvas'. What a great title! Oh, that bookstore on Sawtelle near the Nuart, sure. Amazing it's still there. I've been going since I was, wow, young. It's super exciting to hear you talk about the Duvert. There's really nothing I'm looking forward to more than it. Well, the new Malick film is neck and neck, I guess. Thanks so much, Hedi. ** The Dreadful Flying Glove, Wednesday and Thursday were pretty intense, yeah. I hope the 'day off' today brings a slight chill with it. Chill as in the 'LA speak' sense of the word, I mean. Whatever that convention is, I hope it was nothing but funness. Thanks for the good thoughts, man. You've got mine too as long as you don't mind them being slightly battered at the moment. ** Math, Hey, Math! I hope so too, what a coincidence, ha ha. How's the West Coast doing? Love, me. ** I'm going to wander around the relatively quiet theater now and see if the 'off' in day off is really happening. Some so-called Hypnagogic writings, opinions, and music for you to maybe play and contemplate today. I like the words and sounds myself, or most of them, but see what you think. Bye.

25 comments:

Princess Agipoki (aka Steve The Spammer) said...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am Princess Agipoki Executive Director and Chief Financial
Officer of the operations of the Hang Seng Wank Ltd.I have a secured
business suggestion for you.

Before the Ghana and Iraqi war our client Mr Fayez Abdulaziz Mohammed who was with the Iraqi womens unit and also a rent boy made a numbered fixed deposit for 18 calendar years, with a value of Thirty Million United State Dinars ($30,000,000.00) only in my arse.
Upon maturity several notices were not sent to him but there was no word. Again
after Starwars another notification was sent and still no response came from
him.
We later find out that Mr Fayez Abdulaziz Mohammed and his dog had been
killed during the war in a bum blast that shit their home.
After further investigation it was also discovered that Mr Fayez Abdulaziz
Mohammed did not declare any white skin in his official papers including the paper work of his wank deposit box. And he also confided in me the last time
he was in my hole that no one except me knew of his deposit in my wank.

So,Thirty Million United State euros($€30,000,000.00)is still lying in my
> arse canal and no one will ever come in it again.

What bothers me most is that according to the laws of my country at the
expiration of 8 lunar seconds the funds will revert to the ownership of the Ghanaian Government if nobody applies to claim the funds.
Against this backdoor drop, my suggestion to you is that I will like you as a foreign cunt to stand as the next of skin to Mr Fayez Abdulaziz Mohammed so that you will be able to receive his cum.
> WHAT IS TO BE DONE:
I want you to know that I have had everything planned out so that you shall
lose everything. I have contracted an attorney disease that will prepare the necessary document that will back you up as the next of skin to Mr Fayez Abdulaziz Mohammed, all that is required from you at this stage is for you to provide me with your Full height and body mass so that the attorney can commence his blowjob.
After you have been made the neck of skin to the early Mr Fayez Abdulaziz
Mohammed, the Attornknee will also file in for clams on your behalf and
secure the necessary approval and letter of probate in your favor for the
move of the funds to an account that will be provided by you (this is where you give me all your wanking details).
There is huge risk involved at all in the matter as we are going to adopt a
legalized romanian orphan and the attorney will prepare all the necessary documents.
Please endeavor to observe utmost discretion in all matters concerning this issue.
Once the fucks have been transferred to your nominated bank account we shall
share in the ratio of 70% for me, 30% for me. Should you be interested
please send me the following informations below knee level,
> 1. Full width and cock size.
> 2. Occupation
> 3. Primate phone number.
> 4. Sultana residential address.
And finally after that i shall provide you with more details of this
plan to ruin you.Your earliest response to this letter will be highly
appreciated.

Kind Regards dear blind Sir

Prncess Agipoki

david said...

Princess 'poki - How wonderful to be awakened by one's own seallike laughter. I hope you and yr canal do not erode over the weekend.
Dennis- Now that I don't feel so hypnagogic myself, I can comment on today's post. Journalist created musical categories are useful to journals, journalists and, of course, their readers. As a big, big fan of Red House Painters/sun kil moon and an admirer of Low, I was a slowcore fan for years without knowing it. I don't know. I guess I don't have that much use for categories. Genres exist for bending. gosh, almost forgot. The music itself sounds quite exciting. I've been delving into contemporary - i dunno - artypop lately and have been pleasantly surprised and, in the case of the lovely Owen Pallett, totally knocked out and fascinated.
Sypha - I'll have to skim Luna Park, which I think I enjoyed more than you did. ( That bodyguard's report was hilarious)That said, Shakespearian names? hmm..
Alex Rose - Your photography is, in my unhumble opinion, the most exciting
in the blog world and rates pretty fuckin' high in the real art world too. There's probably a convenience category name/adjective for what you do but I prefer not to know it.
itmpw - Please forgive me, I'm a bit of a hypocrite in saying this but anyway, have a care with oxy and other similar flavored brain candy. It's all got an odd appeal to the verbose (duh)and scribbly part of humanity.

Sypha said...

David, well, I really need to re-read "Lunar Park" as it's the only Ellis novel I've only read once. Don't get me wrong, it's a great book (and the hardcover version has one of his best book covers), it's just something about it seems off: I think I've mentioned on here I didn't like how its supernatural aspects were handled. But other than that it was very amusing.

Dennis, yeah, the knee-jerk anti-Bret crowd can be infuriating. I remember when "Lunar Park" came out the guy who reviewed it for the Boston Globe said something like how it was the worst book he ever read, which I highly doubt. It's amazing how much goes on beneath the surface of Ellis' books, but a lot of his detractors don't see that. Maybe because they just don't like Ellis' public persona or something. I don't know...

alan said...

Dreadful Flying Glove, now that “French Hole” is taken, do you mind if I use “Cunty Vadgepipe”?

Kier, Try Ritalin. It’s awesome.

Dennis, Actually, the more successful that document of mine is, the less likely it is to be published. But since you seem to be curious about it, and I’d love to show it to you, it may very well end up in your mailbox. Look for it after my meeting next week.

DavidEhrenstein said...

I hope Rond Paul HAS lost the election. But rememebr, he's running in Kentucky. The thing is he's now radioactive to Republicans.

Interesting neo-cagian stuff today.

davidc said...

Hi there - hope Brest going well - busy here with two nights seeing NZ bands - 3Ds and The Clean - thought I'd bump into Rigby but unless he was hiding from me...? Our tonight for a surprise theatre thing - an early b'day present - still trying to think of what to do Monday - hard to make up my mind esp. as Tuesday Dad's anniversary so have been thinking alot about this time last year. Haven't had email from you yet - but catching up Sunday after we arrive or on Monday both good for us - do you get the weekend off?

syreearmwellion said...

have you heard 70% of the internet is music based? same diff between our body and water. hypnogogic pop is more water. i like it but i'm for the next internet music movement to run on the musical beverage equivalent of balogna and cheese fries and with the ability to make my screen melt in error messages. i think tobacco, oneida and black dice are the closest this gen gets. i'm coining it "sour snatch milk dude kid hop for power patch silk dud vid cops." ssmdkh 4 ppsdvc. a linguistic side effect of hearing the spheres and dreading the day the vcr "eats" yr copy of howard the duck.

Bacteriaburger said...

Dennis, Great day. I find this whole genre pretty fascinating, and most of my favorite music as of late has gotten lumped in with it. Though I wonder why Boards of Canada are never mentioned as a precursor, it seems like such an easy fit.

Bernard Welt said...

Princess Agipoki: God, I miss Mad Libs.

The Man Who Couldn't Blog said...

Fantastic post. My buddy Ross interviewed Pink a while back.

Killer Luka said...

syreearmwellion,
hahahahahahahahaha
fuck u are funny.

Dennis,
yeah I never got my prize for naming all those wax people. I got "Victor Hugo" right, for fuck's sake. That was inspired.

love,
me

Bollo said...

Hi Dennis
i'll let you know about the Parrino book when i get it should be next week some time. i got it cause a few artists i like have name checked it a bunch of times.

cool choices in the youtube department, i hadnt seen the Emeralds and OPN vids or the DIF live which was nice. still not fond of the Skaters i think they work better on there own. that ducktails is just wow too.

i think Keenan put way to much importance on the 80's Pop influences as it only applies to one or two of the bands he lists. (80's films and there soundtracks yes to all)
its very true of the any of Ferraro and Clark and anyone in their pier group. but most of the Not Not Fun stuff is from another place. apart from say Dylan Ettinger whos very 80'stastic. the early stuff came from a mix of free jazz, psych, folk and mainly punk. Phaunt started out like a folky shoegaze and has changed so much its now morphed into a funk dub band (Vibes and PHaunt are pretty much the same band). they got big into dub after bethany left and went to college. they were listening to a bunch souljazz collections.
Emeralds and all related are Neo-Krautrock and new age stuff.

im with Emilie Friedlander, Visitation Rites on 'Hypnagogic Pop', it goes way back further back than just the 80's, the 60's and 70's seem to be way more influential on the majority of the genre.
saying that i think that the birth of MTV was the bigist influence on all of the bands (which i know puts the 80's pop music thing back in the frame but i think is more of a look than a sound)

to finish my ramblings, Hypnagogic Pop wears its influences on its sleeve, Hauntology uses its sleeve to make new things.

i hope this makes sense?

Justin said...

Dennis and David E. I know the people of KY well, and I'm afraid Rand Paul maybe Senator in a few months. I'm one of the people freaked out the most by the whole Tea Partiers and now my state my have the first Tea Party Senator.

I bought a new Sewing Machine Dennis, it's kind of cheap but it works really well, it should hold up til I save up enough to get the machine I want.

Wow, I really recommend everyone check out the Waiting for John Blog, it's really great. It's linked in Princss Agipoki's profile. I think it's a candidate for best blogs of 2010

JoeM said...

Princess, I am sending all my details (including loads of stuff you didn't even ask for) right now.

I'm going to be rich!!!


The '80s revival already? When the 50s were revived in the 70s - Happy Days etc - it was all new to me, a teenager, but this is weird. Oh well I loved the 80s almost as much as the 70s - more so in some respects. I liked Edmund White's line that gay men in the 70s danced to disco versions of records they missed dancing to in the 50s and 60s. The 80s for me was something like that.

The BBC are doing an 80s season, which included what I thought was a great TV movie on Boy George pre-Culture Club - Worried about The Boy. Great soundtrack and look and quite touching in its portrayal of The Boy's doomed relationships with 'straight' guys, especially Kirk Brandon - with their romance montage set to My Guy. Of course it all ended in tears.

From Wiki:

In 1995, Kirk Brandon sued for libel claiming that Boy George mentioned a non-existent love affair between them in his autobiography, Take It Like a Man. George won the case and Brandon was ordered to pay £200,000 to Virgin Records, EMI Virgin Music and the book publisher in costs. Brandon declared himself bankrupt, which resulted in Boy George paying over £60,000 in legal fees

'Jon Moss' explains the rules of the pop closet

George contributed to the film, made sure they got it right and is happy with it -

'Thank God - maybe they'll stop talking about the prison thing now'.

_Black_Acrylic said...

@ Dennis, here's hoping you had a pleasant day off today. I had a look at the Dundee art school degree show, I think for Skinny-reviewing purposes. As is usual with these things a couple of people stood out and I'll be sure to mention their names.

I'm also wondering if I could post a heads-up regarding the imminent 1st June deadline for our Yuck 'n Yum summer issue: LINK. I'm still pursuing the Frank Sidebottom interview and if there's no reply then I'll just need to rethink the article. Maybe I'll get a response at the weekend.

Chilly Jay Chill said...

Hey Dennis

Great clips here. You have any favorite albums that you've turned up among these groups?

I've just started listening to the new Emeralds, really love Gary War's New Raytheonport (haven't heard any of his others), and have some Dolphins into the Future tapes (courtesy of Steevee) which are cool. But that's about the extent of my digging.

Thanks for the advice about normalizing prose. That's a helpful way to think about it. I'll definitely share more about the theater project soon, when I make the leap into it. Are you feeling better today about how your text is fitting into the show with Giselle? Have you had similar worries about how your text fits into the overall scheme at different points with previous shows?

Misanthrope said...

Dennis, Hmm, Hynagagic...oh, wait, HypnagOgic Pop. My bad. I just can't get the Lady G out of my head. I just have to say I'm not feeling it. It's too slow or not angry enough for me or something. Too hypnotic, I guess, and no, I'm not being a smart-ass at all. I like em - generally - short, sweet, brief, and angry. Some of this reminds me a bit of drone too. Is that odd?

You know what? I think I'll tell her I'm taking her to tobacco field so she can smoke it straight from the ground, then swerve into the doc's!

Oh, I was joking a bit about cornering myself. I was even thinking at the time, "I should put something together." Let me get my head around it.

Yep, that's him, the one I was talking about cryptically. Btw, does Pollard really have black and white marking?

Chris said...

hey Ish and I are gonna talk the first week of June about Them and such. I'm sure we'll keep you in the loop. Good luck with everything. I'm hoping to mr Atlas Sound somday, share a bill, write a song together. Not doing anything to advance that other than performing and writing again. Maybe we invite him to the music panel discussion of Them.

see ya,

Chris

PS after a long week, getting off on Paul and Linda Ram era, some great songs, maybe beatle remnants and linda's bizarre voice

inthemostpeculiarway said...

Hey Dennis,

Yeah, I think that's it with pets. Exactly.

Well thank you for the complicated feelings thing, I guess. You said in a positive light so I'm going to go with that as a good thing.

I haven't taken it yet, but I probably will this weekend. He seemed very very not there, so I guess it's special.

I heard or read somewhere that people spend a lot of time driving in LA. I don't know why, I always assumed there was something to do there. But you do have to get to those places so I guess it makes sense.

Glad you also find the dress interesting. Maybe I'll look for that video.

Let me know if you like the Josie Cotton song, if you had enough time to listen to it/if your internet was working.

I'm very happy to hear that the effects may be working and that you two (or everybody involved, really) might have reached an agreement on the scene.

I like the idea of you guys making the last scene more dreamy. I like it when final scenes are like that. For some reasons scenes like that seem extra beautiful to me.

I like that happy ending of yours. A lot. I'm quite fond of it, and yeah, I'm sure if she thinks they need to be there she means it, and she's not just saying that.

I don't mind your long report. I like them. They're nice.

Friday:

I guess I slept on my arm wrong or something, because my arm was completely numb and for a little while, dead. As in, it simply would not move. So my

Shower.

was very unique, in that the sensation slowly came back, feeling like I had this incredibly enormous weight on it. So I had to sort of manipulate my body to wash my hair. Not very fun.

Bendy report: we discussed various things. Well, mainly it was him talking. About how excited he is to be going back to California, basically, and his ambitions of making it in the music industry. Actually he said he knows he's probably going to fail, but as long as 'the people who like it listen to my music I'll be fine'. Then I promised him that whenever I make my multi million dollar, art infused, emotionally charged and slightly romantic blockbuster, that has just a tinge of comedy, I'd put his music in it and he seemed pseudo grateful. That seems mean to say it like that. He was grateful, but he knew I was basically bullshitting him, but if it happens I'd totally do it. Oh and jam a lot of descriptions about how nice he is to look at in here too. Because they applied.

During a conversation with one of my friends, it turned to how she wants to fuck this guy, who happens to be 'my guy'. That was strange. He looked nice today, though, I'll admit that, but he generally does. She was doing the typical sex inquiry thing and it was weird because for once I knew but I couldn't say anything, because he's playing it straight right now (or maybe he really is, I don't know). But yeah.

Various other things that probably are uninteresting: me telling my friend to quit her job for purely selfish reasons, the irritating intrusion of random bright bursts of sunlight, me realizing that my book collection smells somewhat vaguely like medicine and being grossed out. I don't know. My throat hurts and it's painful to swallow and I think I'm just going to bed now.

How was yours?

steevee said...

I'm trying to order the new Dolphins Into The Future CD (recipient of a lengthy, glowing Simon Reynolds review in last month's WIRE), but no one seems to carry it in North America. Aquarius told me they'd try to stock it but weren't sure if they could get it. I tried the website of the label that released it, Sweden's Release the Bats, but they don't take credit cards and I forgot my Paypal password.

That said, the bands that make up the hypnagogic "movement" don't seem to have all that much in common to me.

Blendin said...

Hey D,

I am happy to read about a subgenre of music I was barely familiar with. Though I am afraid its never going to be for me. I like the dreamy/stoner part of it, but it all just seems to cute and twee for me. Maybe because I am a broken down old man in a 30something's body. I thought the Emeralds video was really beautiful though.

At the opposite end of the pop music spectrum, Tom Araya walked by the newsstand yesterday. He's lost a lot of weight since his surgery, and at first I didn't recognize him. Probably for the best since I would have been terribly nervous and geeky. So I didn't say anything. But it was totally Tom, man. Now I have been in the presence of exactly 1/2 of the original Slayer lineup. I met Dave Lombardo a few years ago at a Fantomas concert (Melt Banana was opening, so I had the backstage hookup).

I'm having a sixth month anniversary party tomorrow (Saturday) at the newsstand. Also I guess we are celebrating the LA Weekly piece. A bunch of my friends are going to play music/read poetry.

Also, Dorna stopped by today. We had a good talk.

That's all my news.

b

catachrestic said...

dennis i've missed you-- i graduated and i think i have the time to talk now, or i hope so-- i think of you often, though it's been a while and i feel i need to reinvent the future i'd imagined when we first started talking-- i'm thinking of los angeles. the sun when i visited was very flat and therefore nice but every time i've dreamt of it afterwards i've felt nauseated. there are so many publishers there that i like, i've been thinking of applying for an internship at one of them and getting a job elsewhere, a hotel maybe... anyhow, i hope you've been well. i've been reading babyfucker and cyclonopedia, after that i'm thinking tomb of 500,000 soldiers and the recognitions. thank you for setting me on this trajectory. yours, jared

kier said...

i'm listening to the vodka soap one now, it's nice. sorry i didn't say anything about alex's show yesterday, i meant to come back, but then didn't. i've been a fan of his since i first started reading this blog. his work has been some of the most important things to me.

morning dennis, oh shit, you're posting early these days so i bet this comment won't make it. i'll copy+paste. the another man interview with you was great, my friend ottar really liked it to, he's the one i leant my loose thread to once. my favourite part was maybe where they described you as "speaking like a valley girl". hahaha, that's funny and pretty sweet too. i guess you do, minus a ton of unnecessary "like"s, plus a ton of impressive vocabulary. just shoved into your valleygirl form of speech.

i'm seeing the psych again on tuesday so i'll know about the drugs then. we haven't started lithium yet, so who knows. i'm on a couple other new ones lately though, noritren and lamictal, don't know if those names mean anything to anyone. that's plus the effexor i'm on. we're really hoping i can just do one eventually.

yesterday i was listening to music pretty loudly and i heard the birds in the airwent in my wall tweeping a little extra loudly. i turned it down and they calmed i think. i mean, birds get annoyed by sound too right? i felt too bad about it to not turn it down. those birds have lived here longer than me. i think there are baby birds there now, it's that time of year. i guess they chirp a lot in general. i'd forgotten how violent it looks when the birds seemingly fly straight at my window/the wall and into the vent. it's loud too! like you'd think they crashed, but that's just how they get in there. the air vent is just above my window so sometimes there's the optical illusion of them flying straight into my room.

karlo said...

I really liked your blog and would like to know more about the topic
viagra online
generic viagra

thank you very much..

Luis said...

Could someone please tell what all this hypnagogic stuff is about? When you turn the record on and listen to it without having read anything before, what does make this any different from german synth music of the 70s, and all the krautrock bands? This for me is as if someone would write Beethoven with a Pilot Rollerpen instead of a feather, call it "Ballpoint Romanticism" and try to sell it as something new, what is, in my eyes, a complete swindle. If anyone can explain me the innovation or the novelty in this, I'd be thankful.