Friday, March 27, 2009

p.s.  RIP: Ronald Tavel.  So today is probably the closest there'll ever be to a DC's post guest-edited by Yury.  He chose the topic, about 75% of the contents, and I filled out the other 25% with things I thought might be explanatory or helpful then arranged the entirety.  Yury says to tell you he hopes you find it interesting, and so do I.  Maybe I shouldn't say this, and it might not be so interesting anyway, but people who've read the p.s. closely in the last days might have noticed my mentioning that for the Bryant Park reading I'm doing in NYC, the organizers wanted someone famous to introduce me.  It was decided that person would be James Frey, and I noted in the p.s. what an odd and amusing combination I thought that would make.  Well, apparently Frey read the blog, took great offense at what I said, and is now refusing to introduce me, which seems a bit oversensitive, but nonetheless.  So now the hunt is on for a new famous person, and if I mention who it turns out to be here, I'll make sure to emphasize how marvelous and what an honor it is in no uncertain terms, which I guess I should have done re: Frey.  I forget a lot of the time how public the p.s. is, and that people looking in for the first time might not necessarily understand the detailing in our repartee's familiar tone, and so that turn of events was interesting in addition to creating a little mess.  So, yeah.  Oh, and I had a great time hanging out with the blog's own Wolf and Tender Prey yesterday, which I'm sure is no surprise.  And, finally, here's your daily nudge re: what I hope will your entry for the Self-Portrait Day.  **  David Ehrenstein, Very bad news about Ronald Tavel.  My agent Ira was/is also his agent, and I know he's been trying to place Tavel's legendary, decades in the writing novel, and in fact he might well have already found a publisher, I'm not sure.  Anyway, a big loss.  Otherwise, go Barney Frank, and I think your newest FaBlog is extraordinary.  The only way I initially see the 'hard-boiled' term working with Robbe-Grillet is because he was fascinated by the detective novel form, and worked with it within his novels, I guess especially in 'Djinn', the little kind of detective novel he wrote as a kind of fictional explanation of the Nouveau Roman.  **  NB, Stomach ache notwithstanding, I'm pretty envious re: that culinary class you took, it being so extremely up my immediate alley.  Oh, on the SPD thing, don't stress too much about it.  I mean you only have to write just a little paragraph, you know, or ... anything however slight.  Have fun if you're going to do it, you know?  Otherwise ...  Thanks for the Blake Butler link.  I'll go read it.  I like his writing quite a lot.  All this lay-off stuff is so scary.  It's just besetting so many people I know, most of whom have escaped the cuts thus far.  Dude, NYC rent is positively crazed.  So is Paris rent by the way, but you at least get a bigger apartment here and, well, Paris itself too for that kind of money.  I tell you what.  If you want to fill in that blank, find me a place that has really good, spicy cold sesame noodle.  That's my all-time favorite food, and Paris doesn't seem to house it.  **  Paradigm, I don't think there's any direct connection between Roubaud and my novel other than a general interest in and borrowing from work like his and including his.  I'm trying not to focus too much on any particular French writer, other than Sade, and instead sort of think of what French literature means to me or what particular impact it had on my writing and then forefront the basic effect almost ridiculously, which probably doesn't make a lot of sense.  Well, re: what you're saying about the effect you want Wai to have, that effect would be very hard to gauge, wouldn't it?  The process of being enlightened or woken up can be very private, and there's the lag time as the person investigates how best to put what they've learned into action in their particular context, community, sense of their own personal strengths, and so on.  I guess that's what I was trying to say about how it must be difficult to know what the impact is apart from good words and some press, which of course are very important.   But, in a much more significant and important way, it must be somewhat like the effect of a book of fiction that inspires a reader to want to be a writer or a particular kind of writer.  The time from the reading of the book to the point where the inspired writer writes something and is in a position to publicly acknowledge the influence can be lengthy.  So I imagine you have to maintain a lot of faith to do something like Wai, or, well, do anything that you hope is making some kind of difference.  Mm, does that make sense?  Yeah, since Beckett technically wrote his own English language books, I thought he could get in the list.  Kind of similarly if a little differently with Nabokov.  **  Kiddiepunk, The trailer is exquisite.  Let me pass it on: Everyone, the mighty and brilliant Kiddiepunk has finished a teaser trailer for his film 'Godland', and it's a total knock out, and do go see for yourselves.  It's here.  I'm going to see you so soon, whoa!  I got you a ticket for 'Jerk' on, I think, the 9th.  I hope that's okay.  **  Stan_cz, Well, a big motherfucking happy birthday one date, man!  I basically ignore my birthdays too, so I hear you.  I hope you at least had a better than decent meal.  **  Bernard Welt, Oh, you know the Roubaud novel.  Excellent, yeah, it's staggering.  I've gratefully noted those cook books and books on the culinary arts, and I'll see what I can find at Shakespeare & Co. or Village Voice.  MFK Fischer is one of Amy Gerstler's favorite writers.  The class description sounds incredible, and it also sounds like you're pretty squared away on the reading list.  I was going to ask if you ever video document your classes or the lecture portions at least?  I don't know if that's an unwieldy prospect.  It just seems like kind of shame that they exist with no permanent record and couldn't be attended online at some point or something.  That Coates quote really is gorgeous, yeah.  **  Tosh, You probably know this kind of great Jack Nitzsche site already, but if you don't ...  Also, have you seen this album cover?  **  Paul Curran, Thank you, Paul.  **  SYpHA_69, Oh, it's kind of explained at the top, I guess.  About Frey, I mean.  Ongoing very best wishes on the ongoing health and job crap.  **  Patrick deWitt, Hey, man.  **  Dynomoose, I'm guessing that every question I have is one that will have to wait until the MRI, since I'm guessing that is what will really determine the complete nature of the diagnosis and the particulars of her version of the condition?  I'm hoping intensely, perhaps against hope, but I hope not, that there are exceptions or versions of the condition for which medication or something can help.  It's devastating news, Adrienne, in any case, and the feeling of helplessness, even for a friend as somewhat abstracted by the internet as myself, is kind of overwhelming.  I send you all my love and as much hope as humanly possible that once a more precise diagnosis and understanding of her condition comes in, there'll be some kind of relatively good news for her and for you guys.  Know that all of us here care enormously much and will do anything we can as your friends and supporters along the way.  **  Wolf, Hey, Wolf.  Thanks for that.  It was amazing seeing you, and I hope I'll see you a little later on today.  **  Storybynumbers, That's interesting.  Yeah, I have a kind of possibly common idea of the Northeast, or most of it, being a bastion of old fashioned pragmatic Democrat types, but I'm not sure exactly where that image comes from.  **  Pisycaca, Luckily Yury is a hardworking guy who just reorients his goals when needed and remains determined and burns off his stress by griping a lot in private.  So it's a drag, but he'll ace it.  Well, at least you're feeling more positive even if the circumstances are technically anguishing.  I'm sure it'll work out.  It's weird how things always seem to work out.  You're getting all the positive West Coast vibes I've managed to hold onto over here.  **  Steevee, So you're going to shoot the film in April?  I'm forgetting.  Is that plan?  How long is the total process including rehearsals and shooting?  I assume it's too early to determine how long any post- stuff will take?  **  Stephen, My pleasure.  **  JW Veldhoen, Hey, sir.  **  Oscar B.,  Two openings, nice.  Well, yeah, intense but nice intense, even if 'nice' and 'intense' make a rather odd couple.  It's a drag you keep having these shows and I don't get to see them in the real world.  Hang in there.  **  JoeM, Hey, and thanks, Joe.  **  Tomkendall, Hey, man.  **  Ken Baumann, I've written five screenplays, two of them as a co-writer, only one of them, 'Jerk', based on an existing work, and I commiserate with you on the difficulties of the form, and I can't imagine ever writing one again unless money somehow makes it a necessity.  I can fully imagine how hard it will be to adapt that novel with the beautiful prose.  Maybe I'm wrong about this, but essentially you only have dialogue to work with, at least in terms of what might actually survive of your own writing in the film itself, right?  Everything else seems to be more about giving whatever director a skeletal yet somehow tasty sense of what you think the right tone, look, quality should be, no?  To me it feels like writing a cross between a synopsis of a world and its advertisement rather than creating the world itself.  I don't know if that makes sense.  And if it's a novel with beautiful prose, well, there's certainly a really big challenge there to transmit the quality of the prose without being able to use the prose itself.  I don't know.  It sounds hard, for sure.  I guess it'll be interesting to see how it effects your fiction writing.  I'd imagine it will, even if it just makes you at least initially adore writing fiction in a new way, which is an effect in and of itself.  Well, obviously, good luck with that, and I hope you can get back to your fiction before too long.  Yeah, it's really nice for me to communicate with you too.  **  Misanthrope, You wouldn't hear me speaking fluent French if you snuck up on me and stuck an Uzi in my back.  Well, those new job prospects sound much more worthy of you than some of the other ones you've been entertaining lately.  Fingers obviously and unremittingly crossed.  Dude, I want to see you in NYC, but  you need a job more than a hug from me.  **  Blendin, Okay, I'll give 'Fear of Flying' a shot.  You've given it the juice I needed to want, a sentence that did mean something when I composed it, believe it or not.  Yeah, you have to do the SPD.  You're committed, just like that.  Snap.  **  Shai Biscuits, I want to hear much more about this performance thing as soon as you're feeling loose lipped.  Yes, we're on for the weekend, man.  The countdown has started.  **  Lord_s, Picking a fave metal doc is hard.  'Decline II', yeah, can't go wrong there.  Hm.  I haven't seen that Kiss thing.  I guess I should.  Never liked Kiss.  Blasphemy, I know.  It might be a generational thing.  Totally on that last High on Fire album.  It's killer.  I'm pulling that one up from its mp3 purgatory today.  **  Winter Rates, I'll stream the new show today, listening closely for any differences in tone, sound quality, vibes, etc.  Don't let the poems slip away, man.  Do one for the SPD.  Use my SPD to kick your poetry writing ass. **  Inthemostpeculiarway, Oh, that kind of guy trouble, ugh.  I've known that trouble more times than I can count, like all red blooded dudes have.  Sorry, man, ouch.  Write a poem about it.  That always helps me.  Your blog is in serious need of a kick start, and that poem might just be thing.  Be like me and put projects ahead of life.  It's one way to go.  Thanks about 'Try'.  Be like Ziggy, man, except without the getting molested and 24/7 anxiety attack part.  **  Jax, Wow, I might have sold a copy of the Roubaud book to you?  That's no small thing.  Cool.  Thanks from over here for your words to Dynomoose.  Yeah, I hear you on screenplays.  It's just apples and oranges, you know?  I mean, I like making complete worlds rather than giving someone else the means to make one and to take or throw away what I've done.  I like the collaborative aspect of that, but I prefer the theater thing I do with Gisele where I get to be involved in the realizing the world I wrote and decide what needs to be changed in the text as we go along.  But maybe writing screenplays shouldn't involve imagining that part of the process so much?  Is that it?  It's more about just working in the form and then whatever movie may or not result is a whole separate entity?   'Cos when you say it's working beyond the visual, I don't really understand that.  It feels to me more like the visual is mostly off limits, and that in fiction you can work with the visual as little or as much as you want.  I don't know.  **  Alan, Hey, man.  **  End.  So give it up for Mr. Gareth Pugh and Mr. Yury Smirnov today if you will.  I'll see you tomorrow.

48 comments:

Misanthrope said...

Dennis, Say hi to Wolf and Tender for me!

tomkendall said...

Great day, you and Giselle should work with this guy. That poodle thing looks amazing. I dont really get fashion on any level..probably because ive never studied or been snagged by it.. but this seems so artistic and so kind of DONE with the whole cliche that kind of hovers indistinctly over fashion in my minds eye or something.

Dennis im real sorry but im not sure im gonna get an spd entry in as ive got work today, 12 hours tomorrow, 8 on sunday and probably monday too. I'll try but its not looking too likely. I hate my menial labour.

So i scrapped the novel structure without, hopefully, having to scrap all the writing. I'm a bit lost...gotta get 20,000 words for september. I want to set in a kind of haunted sea side town but everything i write seems too relentlessy grim. I need to watch twin peaks again because i think theres a lot in the way Lynch uses humour that i can learn from. I think i need something like that to offset the rest of the prose.

Also i was thinking about period and how much i love that opening paragraph and how much that from the off helps create the tone of the book.I kind of want to get a similar effect because while topography isnt something i want to get too hung up about i feel that i need to establish the slightly spooky setting so that its there and done. I've tried to copy some of the things you've done in that paragraph (here's my attempt)while not wholesale ripping you off:

A town unpacked like a Russian doll arranged in broken circles of wealth that skitter down from a cliff top mansion through some densely crowded trees into pooled judders of houses, shops, and a set of adjacent fields that are pocked with abandoned toys, skates, trikes and other things, their grassy surface balding from neglect and the near constant rain.
A lighthouse stands out in the sea rounded and simultaneous in its attitudes, rooted in a protection outstripped by a time that ran apposite to the lives of those whose edges it drew.
Time is different here

...

Its too heavy or something.
I dont know.

Thank yuri for this day btw

xtomk

NB said...

Dennis, I had to lookup who the Frey guy was. Yeah, I remember hearing about him after the fact. But whatever, if he is being all sensitive boy about it, screw it. You should have the NYC blog crew introduce you. Screw famous people. Or we'll pretend to be famous from Sweden. Aren't they restricting what you can read too? Oh man, this should be interesting. And I'll get something to you. I just have this thing, where I like to finish stuff before I let people read it. I don't know, maybe I'll send you a snippet or something, because I usually write long and I doubt anyone wants to read it all. And yeah, I think the only place in the world with such high rent and so tiny of places is NYC. If I could move to Paris and get a job, I'd be there. Actually, I'm thinking about moving with a friend there next year (if he ever actually does graduate college!). So who knows, maybe we'll be eating macaroons next May, but not those noodle things since they don't have them. But I'll learn to make them, if you so desire.

stan_cz said...

Hey Dennis,

thanks for the birthday wishes. Regarding the meal, I had a pizza, so there you go. But the lunch with my mom is on Sunday.

I'm a bit angry today, due to being stuck here because I have to wait for UPS to arrive. That replacement fan for my laptop is coming today and UPS never gives you a precise time of arrival, but they assure me it's today on the tracking site. So I have to wait here even though I really have to go out and buy some groceries. Anyway, these 15-minute periods of laptop use before it overheats are really a drag.

DavidEhrenstein said...

Great work, Yury. Pugh is fascinating. His stuff seems to hover on the edge between the actually wearable and the "I dare you to put that on."

Kiddiepunk said...

some of these designs are pretty out there and awesome. i want that hooded jumper in the first image. that's cool. so, thanks to yury for expanding our horizons!
glad you liked the God Land teaser, dennis.
oh, and the Jerk ticket! - my drool is pouring out of my mouth like a tap and now my socks are soggy! a million times muchas gracias! thanks so much!
my word verification is: headcce, which is funny, seeing that I have a headache which i just took painkillers for. just over a week to go til I can blow this cake stand! god speed...
xx

Jax said...

Yury, great Gareth Pugh day! I was amazed to discover he's from Sunderland – but I shouldn't be surprised. There's something about the grimy north which brings out the peacock in the best of us, I think. I love that he's sounds so down to earth – he's like the anti-Lagerfield. Is he going to get that job as creative director at Dior, do you think?

Dennis, re screenplays: yes, exactly, it is apples and oranges of course. I just don't see the screenplay as a collaborative form. A lot of people do, and I know that, due to most film-making processes a lot of screenplays end up euphemistically 'collaborative', with the document assuming a kind of 'blueprint' / skeleton role, where other people I.e. producers I suppose, but mainly a director, come on board and contribute their stuff. But it doesn't have to be that way. For me, that happens when people assume the writer knows nothing about the visual or many of the other components involved in making a film – and this isn't necessarily so. Nor should it be

Screen-writing isn't just dialogue. Like novel-writing isn't just prose. Yeah, maybe a certain kind of director likes scripts which ARE mainly just dialogue, cos they feel it gives them more scope to do their thing. But is a screenwriter's job merely to stimulate a director, perhaps even at the expense of having their own vision misread and / or distorted?

I don't believe the visual is off-limits to screenwriters, but I think maybe you're underestimating the massive visual component already in prose works like 'Jerk' and 'God Jnr'. I mean, come on – puppets??? That's crammed with visual.

The 'beyond the visual' thing, for me, is what one hopes will be happening in the brain of whoever reads a screenplay. They're seeing the story unfold in their head – similar to what happens when you read a novel you get very into - but not cos there's stuff in the screenplay a la 'close on Rupert' or 'pan over the landscape as the sun sets'. More cos meaning should be starting to seep out between the scenes. It's like, the writer is assembling a series of scenes and the story / meaning / whatever isn't in the scenes it's emerging in the reader's / viewer's head as they're reading your words. This happens in novels too – it happens most, though, in poetry I think, when there's SO little there on the page and what is there is, when poetry's working at its best, structured in the way it is and uses the words it uses to precisely illicit what's gonna happen in the reader's head.

And when something happens in your head it doesn't happen in words or images, does it? It's happens in, like...pure meaning? In a series of emotional responses to a carefully designed sequence of verbal /audio and visual stimuli? Gawd, does that make any sense at all?? Maybe this only happens in my head, I dunno. I happily admit I don't know much any more, and what little I do know I don't have the words to discuss adequately.

But I do think screenplays have more in common than poetry than anything else.

TomK: I love the sound of your haunted seaside town thing. Maybe you could avoid 'grim' by using something with a sense of movement? It feels a bit static right now - or is that what you're going for? A sense of... foreboding? Some Lynchian whimsey in the form of an unexpected charcater could lighten this? Someone moving through the town, doing something and showing us the town as they go? Or is that 'Under Mlk Wood'???

I know ya didn't ask, but there ya go:)

DavidEhrenstein said...

Is his antipathy to color a permanent fixture?

He would be perfect for theatrical costume design. I can see him working with Giselle quite easily.

J. Campbell said...

Honestly? Frey being upset with you for any reason at all is a little ridiculous. He's likely thinking "we're both authors" but (whether he wants to acknowledge it or not) there are such things as leagues, and he's not in yours. What worries me more is that the organizers thought he'd be a good fit to introduce you--that would have turned out even worse for Frey. The story the next day would have dredged up his (apparent) confusion as to whether or not what he wrote was a novel or nonfic, and it would have been even worse for him than whatever it is he's feeling right now. There hasn't been enough time yet for people to forget that he is either hopelessly confused as to what genre his work falls into (which is bad) or so willing to sell out that he'll let them sell his novel as nonfic without saying anything about it until confronted by Oprah (which is worse). Hopefully they'll choose someone who really will be a good person, and you won't have to play the PR game with the write up.

The Dreadful Flying Glove said...

Tomkendall, your description of your setting and intentions immediately makes me think of Ann Quin's Berg which is set in an analogue of her native Brighton. It's written in an almost corrosively distinct, pitch-black style, but these concerns aside I think you may find it rewarding.

Tonyoneill said...

Hey Dennis (and Yury) - Loving, loving Pugh's stuff. And Ill just second Jax's astonishment that he's from Sunderland. Its always nice when something extravagant comes out of unexpected places. I love this kind of fashion, the stuff that teeters between clothing and wearable art. Great stuff.

Dennis, I'm quite taken aback by the James Frey thing. I saw all the mentions of it before, and the thing is I never saw you express anything other than a kind of "isn't that strange" feeling about pairing the two of you two (and it WAS strange, but it might have worked). Who knew that someone who has been publicly raked over the coals on the most watched television show in America would have such a thin skin? I think he needs to get over himself, frankly. You have to earn that kind of diva behavior, and earning it has less to do with selling books and more to do with writing well in my opinion...

Colin said...

Amazing, thank-you. My favourite by far is the white, origami, papery, slat-blinds/jalousie, dress and shoes. i love it.

tomkendall said...

Thanks Jax, yeah i need to work in a little humour i think. I was thinking this first section would be like an episode or something so i wanted to narrow in from the static overhead shot or something into the action to where the person disappears in the lighthouse. Maybe there's not so much room for humour in this preamble though i could collage it...
thanks a lot man.

Dreadful flying Glove, cheers man i'll check that book out right now cause that sounds right up my alley.

x

Tosh said...

James Frey's reaction is fascinating. But sad as well. The ability to laugh at oneself is a plus. And I know, I know, you want me to fly over to NYC to introduce you right? Dennis I am a little busy here with the lunch meetings, etc.

But really, I think that whole concept of getting someone 'famous' to introduce someone is kind of lame. But if the publishers and store are really into it they should get someone like Thomas Pynchon. Now that would be interesting! And I hear he lives in Manhattan!

And Yury, what a great blog today. i mentioned that already in a separate comment section, but I just want to say that I think Fashion and the fashion business is a fascinating world. I am not a huge fan or keep up on the clothes, etc. mostly due to the fact that my brain is overloaded with too many visuals, thoughts, etc. - but I really admire the work and thought that goes into clothes making. My wife Lun*na makes clothes as well - and that intensity is something to see.

I hope you will do more blogs with Dennis on Fashion, because I think there needs to be more exposure of this world to those who may overlook it. Fashion is almost like a newspaper, it is the world as represented in cloth, design, the cut, etc. And it also combines music, film, & theater. Fantastic!

winter rates said...

D-

Even before your nudging I did another poem, so now I'm only one day in the hole. Man, didn't you notice I already sent you my SPD... like 5 seconds after you posted the instructions? If you didn't get it for some reason let me know and I'll resend. I actually quite like it. Any who yeah, so today is Jen's b-day so I shan't get a poem done, but if I get one done by this weekend and then another one by next Thursday I am totally copacetic... thanks for the nudge, I always appreciate it.... Frey is pussy willow...

-WR

DavidEhrenstein said...

Frey should consider himself lucky he gets invited anywhere -- much less to introduce you, Dennis.

He's a Laura Albert wannabe, IMO.

SYpHA_69 said...

Well, I pretty much know... zip about fashion, but I do like a lot of the outfits on display here today. Some of them have a sort of surrealistic/alien vibe that appeals to my sensibilities.

It amazes me that people still buy "A Million Little Pieces" when they know most of its totally untrue. Then again, people also still buy "She Said Yes" (about one of the Columbine victims who supposedly said "yes" when asked by the killers if she believed in God before they shot her), even though it eventually came out that she wasn't the one who had said "yes" at all! Dennis, you should get Ellis to do it!

stan_cz said...

My fan arrived and I was able to do my shopping. I built it in, but it was tough, since there were all these tiny screws inside the laptop holding the fan in place. But I succeeded in replacing it and the new one works fine.

Jax, scripts are a very complicated and wide-ranging indeed and certainly more than just dialogue, particularly if you're trying to have just the right amount of it and balance it with non-verbal expressions of emotions. Everyone has a different idea of what a script is supposed to be, but to me it's a guideline regarding the structure/construction of the story. I don't write any visuals or shot descriptions into my scripts, because I feel that such things have to be decided on the spot, in sync with the feel and look of the location. I also very much believe in spontaneity on the set, which, in my opinion, gives the filmmaker room to incorporate real life and unplanned events, which add to the richness and reality of the film. What I hate is a hermetically sealed way of working, i.e. every step and shot being pre-planned, dialogue being unalterable etc. Such an approach sickens me, worsened even more by the absurd idea of storyboards, but that's just me. A script should exist to keep you on track, so that you know what you're doing, where you are and which scene follows. But the real, crucial work begins on the set, when you work with that narrative framework you set up for yourself and create the moving images that constitute the film. And then editing should be the ultimate composition, bringing it all into form. Here, I am also against the idea of taking the script into the editing room to determine where to cut. At that point, the third stage, you should have the film in your head and be able to arrange the chronology of scenes in the ideal way. To edit from script is schematic and takes the life away from the final step of filmmaking, the editing stage.

squeaky said...

YURY: yay. that was fun. i loved his make up marathon, and "the flamingo dancer, not literally."

DENNIS: good idea. i'm going to work on setting that in motion now and start some torrid online affair with a bay area beauty. thanks for the nice words on the show. the exile segment was part one, and part two is up and running at another space. i'll send a link when all the photos are up.

Dynomoose said...

Dennis and everyone,
I really appreciate all of your kind words. The fact that she shows very few of the characteristics of Miller Dieker, is already pretty good news. Most of these kids never even learn how to crawl. As for treatments; there are none. The best they could do is treat any seizures she develops. If her internal organs stop growing, there isn't much they can do. But, as I said, we won't know much until she has an MRI.

On a happier, distracting note, tell Yury that I really enjoyed this day. Designers who focus on unwearable sculpture (and I beg to differ with the assertion that Vivian Westwood is among them), are usually offensive to me. But he actually has quite a few wearable, cute pieces.

Dynomoose said...

Oh and have you considered asking Poppy to do your intro? Or is she not famous enough?

Misanthrope said...

Jax, Screenplays suck! No, I'm kidding. I just wanted to say something to you. How about this? Hi Jax!

DavidEhrenstein said...

The thing about all fashion is the way it nudges the unwearable. One piece of couture is concieved it's often a battle to get it on someone. Back in the 70's when I worked at the Metropolitan Museum, Diana Vreeland set up her Costume Institute there. It was quite a revelation hanging out in a room full of Ballenciaga gowns. Women could wear them but they were complete works of sculpture without anyone actually inside them.
Pugh is quite young so he could move off into any number of directions. But at the moment I like his styles for women more than his styles for men.

In fashion men are always a problem. Don't know quite how to solve it.

Misanthrope said...

Yay Yury! More, more, more!

Dennis, Gareth is pretty cute. I want to do some awful, almost-Fritzl-like stuff to him. Speaking of Fritzl, have you seen his interview? Again, for me, it comes down to whether he's sincere or not. Of course, nothing he says or does can make up for what he did, but if he's truly sorry, then that means something to me, for some reason.

Well, you know who should introduce you then? Gore Vidal. That'd be great. Of course, I could. But then you'd never be published again - or at least no more readings for you. Oh, wait, you know who's famous here who could introduce you? Ken B.! Sure, he'd lose his role on the TV show, but damn if you wouldn't have quite the turnout...

So what are you gonna read? You know what I say, don't you? Or you know what I'm gonna say, right? Yep, read the filthiest fucking things in Ugly Man. Make 'em drag you off with a shepherd's crook, like in the old days. But then again, look at my life - I make great decisions, don't I? Hehe.

So I have a 2nd interview Monday. And a first with the other company Tuesday. We'll see. Though I have to admit that there were two very fuckable guys there today...man, what's wrong with me, Dennis? Why am I at an interview trying to get a job that I desperately need but all I'm doing is scoping out the fuckable guys?

The place seems all right, but the example of some of their marketing the dude gave me was a little...um, less than spectacular: walking door to door and handing out info. I hope there's more to it than that.

Fuck, that's it! I need to win the lottery and start my multimedia company and write books and stories and poems. That's the only thing that's going to make me happy. Hmm, maybe I should start up a donation thingy...for my fucking sanity!

You know what I want? If Yury ever does another day, I want a Yury Fashion Day featuring his designs. That'd be fun. For me, not him, I'm sure.

Justin said...

Oh wow, I was away for a day or two, but a wonderful post to come back on. It's very exciting to see Yury is into Avant Garde Fashion. And shocking to see Pugh hasn't sold a single gown, even Marjan Pejoski managed to sell his Swan dress. There's this sudden urge, it's so hard to fight to go on and on about fashion. It's something I really adore but alas it's so expensive, but I do have to ask who's Yury's favorite designer? Mine deffineately has to be Vivienne Westwood.
If I were you I would have been offended at the idea of James Frey introducing you. You're a seasoned veteran of cult literature and he's someone who was at the center of a soft news media circus that's biggest achievement was inspiring a South Park episode. Seriously after you went through the whole JT Leroy thing, it's sort of rude too, since they were exposed around the same time and drew alot of comparisons to one another. To me it makes more sense to have one of your contemporaries from another art field introduce you, say Genesis P Orridge or Richard Hell.
BTW my favorite cartoon is Tom and Jerry and the newer adult animations like South Park and Squid Billies.

Pisycaca said...

Garet Pugh's totally cool. Well done, Yury!
I can see Yury's very determined and I'm sure he'll end up achieving his goal.
Thanks a lot for the West Coast vibes, Dennis!

david said...

My fashion sense is thrift store chic at best. Startling and lovely as I found some of these costumes, what really impressed me about this lad is his refusal to do the usual catwalk thing. Not only is it half assed it smacks of the slave auctions of antebellum days.


wv comet

Casey McKinney said...

Cool Post Yury. I can see how you are getting Dennis into fashion. And Dennis that Frey thing is hilarious. Sorry, it's just that after all the Frey/ LeRoy stuff...anyway I can't believe he'd back out, where's the spine or sense of humor? So I am bummed we can't make it out for Jerk in April, but sounds like you got a lot going on then, and I gotta wrap up Kevin's book and save some dough. But planning to hopefully rendezvous in LA. And Europe later. BTW Your reading list the other day I wanted to touch, but there were several there I had read nothing by, like John Updike, I know scandalous huh? Well, as ever, amazed at your blogging skills. I started trying to do it for a change on Fanzine, but it's tough. You have mastered this form (like all the other forms) so can't wait to see one of the plays, guess it will have to be in English. So love from Robin and I (we're off to see some Jack Smith flicks tonight, still trying to figure Atlanta out again, but it seems to be more happening day by day). -Casey

DavidEhrenstein said...

Taylor Mead should introduce you, Dennis.

paradigm said...

dennis, agree totally. i've got the faith i'd just like to get one email from someone who picked up wai and read it who i didn't know. commenting or critiquing it it wouldn't matter just to know a stranger has read it and got something out of it would make my day.

picked up some last night and am taking them to a punk festival today. it's exciting to have the material version.

i can see yours nd yury interest in pugh but fashion has never got me. i'm more of a practical anti-consumption guy and the fashion industry just has so many problems in those fields that i've never got into it.

whatever. that's just me.

dynomoose, hopefully your daughter is the exception to the diagnosis and lives long.

steevee said...

I second the Taylor Mead and Thomas Pynchon recommendations. I wonder if Ghostface Killah is available. It's a shame that Frey doesn't have a sense of humor about this - it's not like you - or anyone else here, from what I recall - attacked him.

I'm planning to rehearse on May 26th and shoot the film May 27th. The shoot will take two days, but only one of them will involve the actor - the other one, we'll just shoot construction sites and empty storefronts. Unfortunately, the rehearsal and shoot will pretty much coincide with your trip here. Are you planning a dinner with the NYC-area posters?

steevee said...

Kiddiepunk--I really like the GODLAND trailer. It develops a sense of tension and even menace without any overt threats of violence. It suggests what the film feels like without giving away any narrative hints. Is this a feature or short?

Kiddiepunk said...

thanks! it's a feature

alan said...

Hardboiled writing. I think I've mentioned my interest in Hammett here. Of the popular writers derivative of Hammett, I suppose James M. Cain stands out. There's a more obscure pulp writer, Paul Cain, whose work is so hardboiled it's nearly unreadable. Charles Willeford did a lot with the narrative point of view typical of hardboiled fiction, if not the style per se. The same goes, on a different plane of achievement, for Donald Westlake writing as Richard Stark.

Hammett's style is organized around the meticulously objective presentation of what goes on in the story. I don't see how that experiment could not have had a seminal influence on Robbe-Grillet. I only wonder whether it was direct or solely via Camus. That The Erasers takes off from a detective-story plot suggests the former. You would be in a position to ask someone who might know, wouldn't you? I would certainly interested to know what she says, if you ever get the chance.

I have a theory that Hammett was a major influence on Gertrude Stein and through her Hemingway and in turn everyone influenced by him. So I guess what I'm saying is that Hammett was the progenitor of modern French and American literature.

The original version of one of my novels was written in an intensely hardboiled style that had rules like no subordinated clauses, no sentence fragments, no informal language (i.e., "telephone," not "phone").

I was stuck at a temp shift for twelve hours last night, so I never got a chance to check out your Roubaud post. I'll go look at it now.

JW Veldhoen said...

Heeey buddy,

Nobody calls you buddy here. Where I come from, there are no people, now I work a block off Times Square. My mental life is fucking complex as hell. I make a a little less than $600 a month after tax, and I'm in debt up to my eyes. What do I do? It isn't a mortal question, but I have no room to breath, and it is all I talk about, like how some people all they talk about is beauty. I wish I was one of those people, not a shop clerk, or a slow writer, but someone who talked beauty all day.

Today is what the beautiful looks like. I'd never have known without you and Yury. Thanks.

JW Veldhoen said...

James Frey is a GREAT idea!

ken baumann said...

Dennis: Wow! Five! I interpreted your curiosity as if you were new to the form. Sorry about that. I should have guessed... You work in all forms, it seems! I respect the hell out of that.

I agree with you re: synopsis & advertisement. Luckily, with both projects I'm adding new material, i.e. creating new story. It's tough getting back into my novel's story in order to fill in the gaps for the screenplay, and it's tough altering someone else's story that I think great/effective in order to create what I think will be a great/effective film. I feel slow and occasionally stifled in the former, and presumptuous in the latter. Trying to be bold.

I just thought 'Screenplays need to be just communicative enough.' I believe that.

I plan on directing my story and finding a director for the adaptation, and it will definitely be a case of coercing someone to 'move through' my adaption to the novel, and subsequently falling in love with the world, and then referring back to my altered structure. Although I plan on crafting a screenplay that can hold beauty on it's own. We'll see.

Any more thoughts/wisdom about the process?

SYpHA_69 said...

It just occurred to me that Misa and I seem to have opposite problems. He's trying to get a job and lose weight, whereas I'm trying to lose my job and gain weight.

Is 136 pounds too skinny for a guy? A few weeks ago it was at 144 pounds but then it dropped below 140 for some reason. A few years ago I would often weight over 150 pounds, but after the antibiotic treatment I took for my stomach in the summer of 2007 I lost a lot of weight, weight I've never been able to regain. I'm just worried that it will keep dropping. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I quit eating ice cream back in November? H'mm.

Mark Gluth said...

Hey - Great Job Yury and Dennis. A couple of the still shots blew my mind. The white and black witches...either fashion is actually compelling, or this guy is something other than fashion. Laryngitically yours
Mark

alistairdm said...

Dennis, hey yr Yury did a great day today, that fashion is really beautiful and sinister. Good to hear his test went well and how that can help things in the long run visa wise.

I got back from NYC yesterday and got a bit of post NYC melancholy, which i always get. the trip went really well, great reading and CUNY event. It was interesting, sort of my first NYC trip where i felt like I'd come into my own a bit.

Hey, would you be interested in me hosting a blog day? My friend in NYC Josh McNey is a brilliant photographer and I wanted to have a day on his work. If yre into it, how do you like things to be sent to you ?

Looking forward to seeing you in LA if it works for you.
Axo
ps-that phrase "the marbled swarm" is just so so brilliant. And Azmi is sublime.

JW Veldhoen said...

a a. Get it? Hmmnn. Scouted by cubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent

What does permanent mean?

NB said...

JW Veldhoen, I work in TS also. I feel your pain. I pretend that TS doesn't exist.

Dennis, Saw Cold Souls tonight at a MoMa screening. Really liked it. That's all. Goodnight, or morning to you soon. Have a good & productive weekend.

Shai Biscuits said...

dennis
my mind
i dont know where i left it
oh wait...

i fucking hate trying to fuck with pictures
on blogger
when i'm this tired
IN FUCKING SAFARI!!!
i feel surly right now

art happening thing
lots of ideas going around right now
i'll let you know when we nail some things down

tell YURY
that i will fucking fly to PARIS
and fucking fuck that bitch tha fuck up!
but maybe not in so many words

i have no interest in fashion
none
but i have to say that this guy is really fucking interesting
there is a beautiful darkness to this

we need more yury 75 % curated days
sweet!

i still feel surly

don't worry dennis
i learned quite a lot this year
i heard your words
even when they stung
like millions of angry bees
in my fucking eyes

i am gonna make things right

but i'll be gruff about it
grrrrrrrrrr

JW Veldhoen said...

It doesn't! Ha! I've seen some recent art that emphasizes the place without a quality quality, the nostalgic timelessness that was wrought during segregationist America is lit up now, to look like that protoplasmic life-glow, only transit, eternal impermanence. It reminds me of an artwork by David Linton, and another by McDermott & McGough. Getting it wrong, against the realism of photography, failing with respect to history, or warping it, like Kota Ezawa's remix, also maybe? Or like Jesus, that fag. Times Square transforms the material reality of architecture, the city, turning into pure light, becomes a shell of presence, exuding the uncanny dimension of time now. All the news that is fit to print, until we go broke. Inside the always shifting luminescent skin, broken pipes and rattraps, movie sets, backdrops for screen dreams, that live as long as the audience does. Flaubert hated newspapers. Fronts. Everything is a front, the labour of the negative is always on display, framing the fact that nobody gives a shit, one way or the other. I'm trying to make art out of being, but the temporary being of the places where I am, where I have been, nearly prohibits it. The new Henry Miller Theater, for instance, is a tribute to the Henry Miller who opened the first air-conditioned theater, not the author of 'The Air-Conditioned Nightmare.' The Bush Towers, while they look Satanic enough, have no relation to the Bush family, except that they are now owned by a middle-eastern group, if that is a relation at all... Totally fucked, like walking through the last moment of Rome as an empire of hair sprayed retards. It must be said. Robert Moses, one of the master builders of New York, expressly compared Shea Stadium to the coliseum. SPQR, or some motherfucking shit, I dunno.

lord_s said...

i think decline II may be my favorite metal doc based solely on the chris holmes poolside scene. it was burned into my brain at an early age.

in fact, i like decline II better than the iconic original. don't tell anyone though -- i'd hate to lose my punk rock credibility. tell me, how does the original decline play to someone who was there for it firsthand.

kiss exposed is a pseudo-doc filmed at the "kiss mansion". great archival footage, lots of made up stuff. typical kiss; i love them so.

i should probably dust off the high on fire record myself. the fact that i'm not listening to it nonstop means it's getting neglected. they're working on a new thing. good, as i was afraid the sleep reunion would sidetrack them.

weekend should be quiet, mostly. any big plans on your end?

Jax said...

stan_cz: fascinating stuff. Obviously, I totally hear you – if you're gonna be directing the script, maybe you do indeed only need that script to be a document that keeps you on-track, on set, cos it's all in your head anyway. But is this the same document you give your actors? Or do they get something else? Or do you workshop? Similarly, what about your producers / potential funders? Do you manage to get funding on the basis of this sort of script? Or is there, again, another document for them?

As a writer, my fantasy is to somehow manage to cut the need for all these other potential versions of the script / other documents and have, in ken_baumann's words, a script that can 'hold beauty on its own'. You manage that, then anything the director brings he does so to serve the script, the ideas therein and thus the film.

Turning to the edit, in my experience – although I'm sure you are different – very many directors (obviously, not good directors!) get carried away with the look of what they've shot, at the edit, and throw the structure of the script I.e. the story, out the window. And that's when the damage gets done, cos they lose sight of just how integral the sheer order of the scenes is to the narrative composition of the whole thing.

This is just me, of course, but like Speilberg with 'Jaws'? There's that story that he just left a series of storyboards for the end and got someone else to shoot it? And people are all horrified at this, But to me, that makes perfect sense – logistically, for Jaws to begin the way it does, as a story, it also has to END the way it does, in order to get that sense of wholeness and journey's end that he achieves at the end. (Gawd, I hope I haven't got that story wrong)

Anyway, I suppose what I'm saying is, for me, since the actually shooting of anything is the most chaotic, most unpredictable process imaginable, I can totally understand why what stuff that CAN be locked down – I.e. the script – IS and SHOULD be, in order to minimise the amount that can go wrong. Yeah, I'm sure there are a thousand apocryphal or otherwise tales of how such-and-such director shot something off the cuff and it totally made the resulting film. But I tend to go by the equally numerous films out there which just do not make sense or deliver any type of audience satisfaction at the end merely because the director got carried away with himself and messed about with a perfectly good script:)

Kiddipunk, I left a message on your blog – that trailer wonderfully illustrates what I was attempting to say and failing, with regard to beyond the visual. Love it!

Sypha: I sorta shuffle between 126 and 130 lbs. At 5'10” I've been told this is slightly underweight, but also that if I feel healthy at that weight and have no problems with energy and stuff, it's cool. A fluctuation of 4 lbs ish shouldn't worry you too much – do you feel okay energy-wise? If you wanna put on weight, eat more carbs like bread and pasta and stuff. Misa? Advice for sypha, please – oh, and good luck with your interviews next week:)

Oscar B. said...

Hey, tell Yuri Gareth Pugh's post is great! well done...

I've definitely caught a cold, it's really freezing here these days.

Despite this, I think I'm off to the big protest that's happening somewhere in London later today. It's gonna be the start of some days of pretty intense political tension - well, the G20 is on next Wednesday so...
I've never been interested in politics, but I suppose this is too important not to be there.

Oh yes, and I'll try go to SLG for those tickets as well...
I must say the Frey thing made me smile...eheh.

I have uploaded the second (short) chapter of my comic on my blog, if you wanna take a look.

ok, I'll go do the aforementioned things.

have a good weekend

Norman R. Tavel-Glick said...

This week we had a gathering of friends at our (Harvey Tavel and mine) Chelsea Co-oop to honor the Life Of Ronald Tavel and toast our recent marriage (at Harvey Fiersten's house in Conn). Our talented soprano friend, Alexandra Lobianco sang "Vissi D'Arte", making the event so touchingly superb. There will be a Weeklong Tribute To Ronald Tavel of Warhol Films at the Anthology Archives in NYC in December. LaMama is also planning an event in December in his honor.
Norman R.Tavel-Glick
gulfportbear@yahoo.com