Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Blair Mastbaum presents ... Ed Templeton Day

----
A portrait of Ed Templeton in front of his signature clouds.

-----------------------------------------

BIO by Ed Templeton

I was born in Orange County California in 1972.
Grew up in Anaheim, then my family moved to a trailer park in Corona.
Dad ran off with the babysitter.
We moved to Huntington Beach.
I began skateboarding when I was 13.
I got sponsored by a company called Circle-A, then left them for Schmitt Stix, which then turned into New Deal.
By the time I was 18 I had started skateboarding professionally.
I left high school with a month left to enter skate contests in Europe. This was a very eye opening experience. Upon my return I started painting, it was 1990.
In 1993 I started my own skateboard company, Toy Machine Bloodsucking Skateboard Company.
In 1994 I had my first solo exhibition at Alleged gallery in New York. That is also the year I started taking photography seriously.
I started making zines.
1995, Mike Mills makes a short film about my life in the suburbs called "Deformer." The name being an ongoing theme in my life.
In 1996 Toy Machine's Welcome to Hell video comes out.
In 1998 I started showing both photography and paintings together in my exhibition at Space 1026 in Philadelphia.
In 1999 my first book was published, Teenage Smokers, along with my 2nd solo exhibition at Alleged Gallery.
2001 Thrasher magazine runs a retrospective article, "10 years of Templeton"
In 2002 my first major book of photographs was published in Italy, "the Golden Age of Neglect."
2005 I finish work on "Deformer," my book about growing up in Orange County, due for release in 2006.
To this day I still skate professionally and run Toy Machine. I live in Huntington Beach, California with my wife Deanna and our cat Ptah.

----------------------------------

Ed's major publications thus far (he also made a vast quantity of zines not included here.)

The Prevailing Nothing. I rate this book a 9 1/2 out of 10. Its photographs capture the bodily fluids and sweat and grit that are part of his best work.


Situation Comedy. I rate this book a 7 out of 10. Still impressive.


Teenage Smokers, I rate this book a 10 out of 10. What more can you ask for than teenage smokers?


The Contagion of Suggestability. I rate this book a 10 out of 10. His LA gallerists (Roberts and Tilton) call this his "dirty book."


The Golden Age of Neglect, I rate this book a 10 out of 10. His most well-known publication recalls Larry Clark and Nan Goldin, but with an entirely new visual vocabulary.

-------------------------------

Examples of Ed's work.

The Teenage Smokers suite of photographs


An installation view of one of Ed's photographic exhibits


Photo from the Golden Age of Neglect


I have a T-shirt of this photo, which is skater Arto Saari in hospital in Finland in 1999.


This is a bridge in Laconia, New Hampshire. I went there in October.


These are twin girls making out with their snowboarder boyfriends in New Hampshire in 1999.


This is a screenprint self-portrait of Ed in the hospital when he had pneumonia.


Ed has started to paint more since 2005. This is titled "Jesse"


This is called "In His Name."


I don't know the name of this painting. Do you?

-----------

Here's a tour of my Ed Templetons in my house.

A diptych shot in Finland


My favorite one, I think


A Geoff Rowley portrait



Towering over my iPod










---------

EDLINKS

Link to Ed on Toy Machine website
Ed's cul-de-sac of lameness
Ed's Wikipedia entry
Interview with Ed on Fecal Face
Ed is a vegan, so here's an
interview about it.
You can order a free Ed Templeton-designed PETA sticker
here.

---------

A short Ed Templeton statement by me:

Ed's work is all about sweat, cum, blood, scabs, pussy juice, and plenty of other excellent things. His own body has been broken and bloody so many times that it's incredibly familiar to him. Because his work is so honest and free of irony, I find it really exciting, really sexy, and really vital. I bought like eight of his works before he was well-known outside the skateboarding world, so they were cheap. Now, people like Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher buy his work (I saw them buying his work actually.) I think Elton John may have a couple, too.


--------------

Ed gets hurt a lot (evidence)


-------------
Some skate decks that Ed designed:

---------------

EDTUBES

Here's Ed installing his Beautiful Losers exhibit.


Here's an interview with Ed for RVCA.


Ed doing a kickflip 180 nosegrind.


Ed's section from the "Jump of a Building" Toy Machine skate video.

---------------
----

9 comments:

Mieze said...

I have a copy of the Golden Age of Neglect. It's a true favorite of mine. Thanks for this day.

ttrentham said...

Which book or zine did -9.jpg come from?

Blair said...

ttrentham, it's from a zine published by Arkitip magazine in 2003 called Totally Corporate.

heliotrope05 said...

Blair...thanks...this day rules. Templeton has been a long time fave...he can seem like a kook in person...but you just know he's not by his work. Anyway it's great to have his stuff up around D's blog.
M

Atheist said...

those paintings are absolutely gorgeous.

CycyLolo said...

Wonderful job, Blair ! we like a lot Ed Templeton work and we desperately we have been looking for the Teenage Smokers book for years! We still can't find it anywhere! Any suggestion? ;-)

adam said...

this is great. that is my home town, teenage smokers is a great account of my childhood experiences there. dc: that's basically why i went to china, i got to smoke in the classrooms as i taught children. haha. xox

David SaƤ Viccenzo said...

for this great day!!!!

-White oleander-

moha said...

hey, love the video of your beautiful losers exibit. The movie premeires August 8th, so def. come and check it out!
www.beautifullosers.com